Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review: MAC Penultimate Eyeliner

I took a big step this year in makeup.

I have always been a drugstore makeup girl, because, frankly, this chick don't have the bones for the fancy stuff. However, I got overloaded with department store giftcards for Christmas (which, take note, I do love). As I invest predominantly in vintage clothing and reproduction clothing now, I have to search to find things any place else. Until I realized I could use them at the MAC counter!

I know there are many die-hard MAC fans out there, and I do not wish to offend you. I do adore the Matte Lipsticks I got (I recommend the Russian Red and Ruby Wood) as well as the lipliners.

MAC Penultimate Eyeliner
However, I am in the market for a great eyeliner. I don't like to wear cake eyeliner (the kind that you use a brush for), because I like to carry my eyeliner around with me in the event I rub it off, break into tears (of laughter) or fall asleep somewhere other than my home. So, I generally go for liquid liner that comes in one package.

While at the MAC counter, the overly hairsprayed and made-up associate gave me the option of two. I simply asked her which is going to last and is recommended. Thus she rang up my purchase of the Penultimate Eyeliner.

Here is what I've deduced.

I do like the idea that it is simply drawn on. Making for an easy application where one doesn't have to fight to get the perfect cat eye.

This is where the postive portion ends. Now, let's get real....

1. This eyeliner has little to no juice in it. I wear eyeliner everyday. Cat-eyes everyday. My drugstore brands last me - at minimum a 3 to 4 weeks - and that's with extraneous applications. In no sooner than a few days did I notice this pen giving out less and less.

2. Although it is distrubuted in neat, pen-like strokes, the color has faded down to a dull grey. Perhaps this is due to complaint number 1.

3. Pen application, I fear, is not good for crows feet. Something I've been ever aware of in my advancing twenties. Although perhaps not a fault of MACs, or even the product, it is something I will not be seeking out in applicators henceforth. The greying, inkless product has to be stroked repeatively over the sensitive outer eye area. Worrying about this alone will give me crow's feet. Euch.

Of course it was paid for on a gift card, For the 18.50 I shelled out for this, I got about 2 dollars of my moneys worth. Obviously, I am not a make-up artist, but I know what works and what doesn't.

I will try another MAC eyeliner, I'm sure, but definitely not this one.

I'd love to hear what you think and like. Any dissent or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review kitten. I too like MAC products, but some i have found not as great in comparison to high street drug store stuff. I've had a couple of mascaras that have dried out really quickly. I will avoid giving this eyeliner a go now and opt for a different one as it's time for me to get a new one aswell x

    ReplyDelete
  2. you just saved my wallet... hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm GLAD! The purchase was an ULTIMATE rip! I got a recommendation for Smashbox from Sephora. I'm going to try that next pay day! Until then, back to my ol' reliable drug store brands.

      Delete

Thoughts?